In response to a number of requests, we have agreed to extend the deadline for applications for The CODATA-RDA Research Data Science School, Pretoria 13- 24 January 2020 to 31 October 2019.
University of Pretoria – Department of Information Science in collaboration with DIRISA, SADiLaR and NeDICC
Duration: 13–24 January 2020
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
The school provides early career researchers (M-level to postdoc) with the foundational data science skills, which include technical skills and responsible research practices, to enable them to work with their data in an effective and efficient manner required by 21st-century research.
The material covered by the programme is fundamental to all areas of research, and thus open to researchers and professionals from all disciplines that deal with signifi amounts of research data. The goal is to provide a practical introduction to these topics with some theory and extensive hands-on training.
- Open Science
- Introduction to Unix Shell
- Introduction to Git
- Open and Collaborative Research
- Research Data Management
- Data Cleaning – using Open Refine
- Data Analysis and Visualisation – using R
- Data Intensive Social Science
- Author Carpentry
- Information Security
- Machine Learning and Neural Networks
- Research Computational Infrastructure
The school is heavily sponsored. Successful applicants will be expected to pay a fee of R1 150 once the application is accepted. This fee includes all training and catering (lunches). Applicants are responsible for their own travel and accommodation arrangements.
How to Apply:
Application deadline: 31 October 2019
Online application and further information:
Females, Social Scientists and participants from developing countries are encouraged to apply
- H Shanahan (Royal Holloway University, UK)
- L Bezuidenhout (University of Oxford, UK)
- A Vahed (DIRISA) | B Peterson, (NWU)
- J Steyn (SADiLAR, NWU)
- J van Wyk (NeDICC) M Holmner (UP)
- M van Deventer (UP)